Friday, July 23, 2004

Underground tales

Our house is full of books.  We both love to read and tend to collect them.  The book I'm currently reading (see the sidebar, which is still broken) isn't all that exciting, so I thought I'd tell you about some that are coming up in my long "to read" list.

Gaiman's Neverwhere is a tale of an alternative world that exists below the streets of London as we know it.  I think I've always had a fascination with the idea of a "hidden" society in some of the nooks and crannies that we may ignore everyday.  Two other books in my list also deal with this topic - but are non-fiction!
The Mole People by Jennifer Toth is an in-depth look at the real people who live in tunnels below NYC. Her goal is to dispel myths about freakish creatures in the tunnels and show the true personalities and dynamics of this society.
The Town Below the Ground by Jan-Andrew Henderson details the history of Edinburgh's underground slum - which existed for 350 years and was forgotten by history until recently. Henderson himself is a storyteller who has been conducting tours of the underground city for several years. 
Will get into more detail when I actually read them.  In the meantime, there are many more books to read!

PS - Sonny has updated his profile and Danny has signed up, so look to hear more from them soon.



No comments: