Friday, September 02, 2005

Now I know what it means...

I have a fondness for the city of New Orleans. I was hooked the moment I set foot there and the two visits I've made have hardly been enough. It was also the only place J and I have ever been to on a major vacation.
It struck me as a city of strength and endurance. Of resiliance. A city that has been through many crises and always survived.
I'm afraid of what happens now.
I can only hope.

It is so horrible to see so many waiting for help, so many dying in the process. I've entertained the brief fantasy of grabbing a bus and driving down myself to help haul people to safety - to some semblance of civilization. That wouldn't work real well, as I'm sure I couldn't drive a bus that far without crashing horribly on the way, so I'll likely just donate.

To New Orleans. A city destroyed. May you stand tall and proud again.
I hope to come for beignets, etouffee, and bread pudding soon.

No comments: