Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Catching up

Wow, I haven't been able to post in a bit - things are once again, and as always, crazy at work and I don't have time to write. What's been up? Shopping and a visit from Mom, awesome malted milkshakes, Adaptation finally finished, Easter, a leaky window, a dying dryer, mouse #4, Dan's birthday (Happy Birthday Dan!), and other adventures.

It's cool to see the yard again after all the snow. Now starts the adventure of discovering what the previous owners planted that will come back this year. The bulbs I planted in the fall were all stolen by squirrels - nasty rodents....

Book #8 - The Subterraneans-by Jack Kerouac. I love Kerouac's tone and rhythm. At times the long drawn out sentences that carry you back and forth in time, from one event or conversation to another, threatened to sweep me away in the flood of thoughts pouring forth. This flow conveys excitement, passion, regret, despair. It makes the story so much more real. I had to fight a bit of depression at the constant gloom that hung over the city, but Percepied found ways of escaping it that once again swept you along. In terms of the story - I had not realized this was based on an actual affair in Kerouac's life, though I think I may have guessed at it. A sad tale of the inability to trust yourself or your love - of a constant burning desire to be at the center of everything that ends up driving those you truly care for away... Good read...

No comments: