Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Falling leaves and more books


J got me a scrapbook punch of a maple leaf a while ago. I thought fall colored leaves would be nice as a part of table decorations and maybe accents to other wedding things, so I've begun to punch. I started in Boston - it's easier while away because I have a ton of other things that I tend to fiddle with at home.

Book #3 - Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis - Dan and I are both reading the Narnia books, but in different orders - I am re-reading my old copies and Dan has the new hardbound compilation. The new edition re-orders the books according to the timeline within them, but I refuse to concede and will continue reading them in the order they were written. Makes more sense to me. Man, was Susan a wet blanket (to put it nicely) in this one!

Book #4 - A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K Hamilton. There were things I really liked about this book and things that made me wonder why I was reading it. It's pretty much a pulpy detective/sex novel - and sometimes it even tried to hard to be that - the opening is so blatantly that of a pulp detective novel that I cringed - if she were making fun of it that'd be one thing, but that really seemed the tone she serously wanted. What kept me reading and lured me in was the faerie twist. I loved that the romance and intrigue were amplified by magic and unusual appearances. Nice variety there! Still not enough, I gave it a shot, but won't buy the next.

No comments: